British Sandwich Week!
The British Sandwich week is held annually between the 22nd – 28th May. Every year this event celebrates the contribution of the sandwich and the significance of the impacts of the sandwich to the British economy. The British Sandwich & Food to Go Association is the industry body backing this celebratory week. Join in the celebrations as we share some sandwich recipes and sandwich inspiration so you can take part in this iconic week.
History of The British Sandwich
The sandwich is estimated to date back to the 18th Century. Notably, the sandwich was first coined by John Montagu, the Fourth Earl of Sandwich, famous for his love of gambling and card games. The Earl was known for ordering his servants to bring him cuts of meat between 2 slices of bread, this was for his convenience – being able to eat without having to stop his game. This idea started a sandwich revolution and soon sandwiches were a regular staple food of people all over the UK and worldwide.
Today the sandwich remains a staple food in Britain, which is a regular lunch food and convenience food for a large percentage of the British population. The sandwich has a dynamic nature as it be eaten at anytime, anywhere and can be personalised to individual taste; You have the British Classics i.e., Ham, Cheese, Egg & Cress and Tuna mayo. Throughout the years sandwiches have been influenced by other cultures, in supermarkets you will find other options such as Egyptian falafel, Vietnamese banh mi, French croque monsieur and many more!
Get Inspired with Creative Sandwiches
The British Sandwich is the perfect opportunity for you at home to get involved and celebrate this British staple food. Why not try a new sandwich filling? You could have a different flavour every day of this British Sandwich Week and enjoy the simple delight of a good sandwich. The sandwich is so versatile, you could try a traditional British flavour, or you could experiment with a sandwich inspired from another culture – there is a flavour out there for everyone! Find the sandwich to suit your palette and enjoy all the glory of British Sandwich week!
To get you started, we’ve got some recipes you can try to make at home! The great thing about the Sandwich is the convenience, so these recipes are quick and easy. We want you to be inspired and even adjust these recipes to create your own new sandwich recipe! However, if you don’t fancy making a sandwich, the great thing is you can grab a pre-made one at your convenience, win-win all round.
Fish Finger Sarnie
What you will need:
2 slices Sourdough Bread
Butter or spread of your choice.
2 tbsp of Tartar Sauce (Make your own – 6tbsp mayonnaise, 1 gherkin chopped, 1tbsp capers, 1tsp lemon juice, 1 tbsp chopped parsley, 2tsp chopped tarragon. Just combine ingredients in a bowl and give it a stir, it’s as easy as that!)
2 Pickles (Sliced)
4 Fish fingers (battered or breaded)
A handful of Iceberg Lettuce
1tsp chopped Parsley (This adds a fresh taste, but you can always swap for Dill, which works great with fish dishes)
- Spread both slices of bread with butter or with a spread of your choice.
- Cook the fish finger as per the instructions on the packet. If your making tartar sauce, this would be a good time to make it whilst you’re waiting for the fish fingers to cook.
- Slice the gherkins, grab a handful of iceberg lettuce and chop the parsley.
- Remove the Fish fingers from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before combining the sandwich.
- Place a layer of lettuce of on the buttered side of 1 slice of the bread, then the fish fingers on top of the lettuce.
- Pop your gherkins on top of the fish fingers, then the parsley and the tartare sauce.
- Add another layer of lettuce and add your other buttered slice of bread, butter facing side down on top of the lettuce.
- Slice your sandwich and enjoy!
Parma Harm, Mozzarella, Rocket and Sundried tomato focaccia
What you will Need:
Focaccia (You can buy this at the supermarket, local bakery or you can try and make it yourself)
1 tbsp Olive Oil
x4 slices Parma Ham (You can leave this out for a Tasty Vegetarian option)
½ Buffalo Mozzarella (sliced)
A handful of rocket
1 tbsp Sundried Tomatoes
Salt & pepper (to taste)
- Cook or make your focaccia per instructions provided on the packet/recipe. Slice your focaccia when it’s cool enough to handle. Drizzle the olive oil or the bread’s sliced openings.
- Slice the mozzarella ball in half and then cut even slices with the half you will use in the sandwich.
- Place rocket, then sliced mozzarella, salt and pepper the mozzarella to taste, then add sundried tomatoes and Parma ham.
- Add the other focaccia slice on top oil side down.
- Slice in half and enjoy!
Hot Honey Chicken Sandwich
What you will Need:
4 Chicken Tenders
1 Brioche Bun
1tbsp Chipotle mayonnaise
2 tbsp of Slaw (whole red cabbage, juice of one lemon, 1 tbsp of olive oil, 1 tsp garlic granules, 4 and ½ tbsp of mayonnaise, 1 tbsp of chilli flakes, salt and pepper to taste)
1 bulb Baby Gem Lettuce
2 tbsp Hot Honey
- Slice your Brioche bun and butter each slice (You can use another spread to your preference) You can toast the buns for an extra tasty option.
- Cooking the tender as per instructions on the packet. Combine the ingredients to make the Slaw, whilst the tenders are cooking.
- Slice your tomato, pickles and chop your lettuce.
- Add the honey to a bowl, once the tenders are ready, add them to this bowl and coat evenly using kitchen tongs.
- On the bottom half of the brioche bun add half of the lettuce, all tomato slices and 2 tbsp of slaw.
- Add the chicken tenders on top of the slaw, drizzle chipotle mayo on the chicken to your taste.
- Add the remaining lettuce and top with your bun topper.
Falafel & Hummus Wrap
What you will Need:
1 tbsp hummus
4 medium size falafel
6 slices of cucumber.
¼ of grated red pepper
¼ of grated medium size carrot
1tbsp mango chutney
1tbsp mint dressing
- Slice the cumber and falafel.
- Grate the carrot and the red pepper.
- Place your wrap on your plate and spread a thin layer of hummus.
- Place spinach on top of the spread hummus, then add your sliced falafel, then add the mango chutney drizzle.
- Add your cucumber slices, grated carrot and pepper on top of the chutney layer, then drizzle with the mint dressing.
- To fold, grab two sides, enough so they touch in the middle, but with an inch gap. Bring up the bottom flap, then continue to roll.
- Slice in two, enjoy!
Philly Cheesesteak Sarnie
What you will Need:
1 Minute Steak
1 Ciabatta Baguette
2 tbsp Dijon Mustard
2 handfuls watercress, rocket and spinach salad. (Combine even amounts of each salad leaf to create this salad)
85g of Gruyere
1 Medium onion
1 Green Pepper
2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp brown sugar
For Steak seasoning: 1tsp Salt, 1tsp Pepper 1 tsp paprika, 1 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp chili powder, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp dried thyme, 1 tsp Dried Corianderand1 tsp Dried Basil.
- Combine you steak seasonings in a bowl. Use a pestle and mortar for a finer season mix.
- Slice your onions into ½-inch thick discs, cook them in a pan on a low heat with 2 tbsp of olive oil and tbsp of butter. When the start going golden add brown sugar and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Whilst this is cooking, you can season the steak with the season mixture to your preference.
- Fry the steaks with a little olive oil for 5 minutes on each side over a medium-high heat.
- In the same pan used for the steaks fry your green peppers in a little oil until tender.
- Preheat the oven to 180 F. Place the ciabatta bread in the preheated oven for 5 minutes.
- Once baked, slice and spread the Dijon mustard on the bread.
- To assemble the sandwich, place the caramelized onions and peppers on the bread, followed by the sliced steak and then the grated cheese. Allow the cheese to melt in the oven or under a grill.
- Once melted add the watercress, spinach and watercress salad. Close the sandwich and slice it in half to serve. Enjoy!